Friday was a bad news day for the baseball media, but after the sun went down, the free agent market heated up.
The Philadelphia Phillies added five years/$100 million to their already impressive roster with Nick Castellanos. per NBC Sports Philadelphia’s Jim Salisbury.
This deal took place after 11:00 p.m. EST on Friday, but more transactions were expected to follow early Saturday morning.
At 1:41 am, Mark Berman of Houston’s Fox 26 reported that Carlos Correa has agreed a three-year, $105.3 million deal with the Minnesota Twins. That’s the highest AAV for an infielder in baseball history.
Also out at AL Central late that night were the Detroit Tigers, who signed starter Michael Pineda to a one-year, $5.5 million deal. according to Jon Heyman of Audacy Sports.
Phillies NL East rival Atlanta Braves made a name for himself late in the game, acquiring Kenley Jansen for a one-year/$16 million deal. per ESPN’s Jeff Passan.
Scroll to Next
The Los Angeles Dodgers haven’t been shy about spending money this offseason, which is what they did on Friday night. LHP Tyler Anderson agreed a one-year, $8 million deal with the Dodgers. to Passan.
Two major league trades took place on Friday, a deal between the Tampa Bay Rays and the Los Angeles Dodgers. Also from Passan That trade sent outfielder Luke Raley to Tampa Bay for Double A prospect Tanner Dodson, who went to the Dodgers.
The second Act being between the New York Yankees and the San Diego Padres where 1B/DH Luke Voit was traded to San Diego in exchange for RHP Justin Lange.
Meanwhile, Trevor Story’s market has continued to heat up as clubs dig deeper into spring training. Heyman believes This story now chooses between four teams, the San Francisco Giants, the Boston Red Sox and two mystery teams.
Ken Rosenthal from the athlete says the Red Sox are “firm in the mix” for the star shortstop, but the “situation is still fluid.”
More from SIs In the Phillies:
- Assessment of the midfield decision of the Phillies
- Dombrowski and Girardi talk about Phillies spring training
- Will Zack Wheeler be ready for opening day?
- How Did Philadelphia Get Citizens Bank Park?
- How the Phillie Phanatic became America’s favorite sports mascot
- How Mike Trout will join the Phillies
- Phillies 2022 Opening Day Schedule Prediction
- Selection of the Phillies’ all-time single-season lineup
- Two former Philadelphia Phillies among those who testified in the Tyler Skaggs trial
- The sad story of the Phillies’ first black ballplayer
Be sure to keep following Inside the Phillies Facebook and Twitter!